Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A is for Astronaut



If you read this post, you know that Jesse Bear is completely into astronauts. I decided to use this new obsession to reinforce the letter "A". Here are the activities we did today:

To Prepare:

1. I printed out the large, black and white astronaut from this download from Mrs. Pancake.

2. I printed out a 3X5 picture of Jesse Bear's head.

3. I cut out the face spot of the astronaut and taped Jesse Bear's face behind it.


Then Jesse Bear and I...

1. Read On the Moon, his favorite astronaut book.
2. I explained that the word "astronaut" begins with the letter "A" and pointed to the "A" in the word.

3. I set out Crayola Washable Triangular Crayons (the best because they are large and don't roll) and scissors.

4. I showed Jesse the astronaut with his face, and he was so excited. I asked him if he thought we should print an "A" on the astronaut's suit and he said "Sure". Next, Jesse colored in the rest of the space suit.

By the way ~ the thing in the astronaut's hand is a "grabber". Here is the real grabber, a toy Jesse got at the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC:


I though it was so cool that he asked me to draw a grabber for his astronaut. I love the connections he is making!

5. Next, we read Toy Story (Little Golden Book) and talked about how Buzz Light Year is an astronaut.
6. Lastly, we practiced printing the letter "A" and drew some pictures of an astronaut and an apple. We did this writing activity in a special Toy Story Little Golden Book upcycled journal that I was lucky enough to win from This Handmade Life's Etsy shop.


The best part of these activities is how much Jesse loves that little astronaut. He was so proud. He took it to nursery school to show his teacher.

Update: We also did a Letter A Collage. I printed the tiny astronauts here. Wes colored them. I helped him cut them out. Then he glued them onto the letter A collage outline. Here is the Letter A outline from The Itty-Bitty Bookworm.


More astronaut and space-related links:

7 comments:

Jodi Renshaw said...

Perfect. Great little lesson plan. I will use it for my man too :)

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Very cute!

Jen said...

Another great idea.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

That's so funny! We are on the same wavelength. I JUST made an astronaut craft tonight with Zorro. Similar but different. I like yours SO CUTE!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Both the astronaut and free drawings that follow it are really great. This is an awesome idea for kids obsessed with space.

Tara Broman said...

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! If anyone does the craft, you should link up a picture.

~Take Care~

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

Just wanted to drop by and let you know that I linked put a link to this in my Space Theme Box Post

http://iheartfrutopia.blogspot.com/2009/10/theme-box-space.html