Sunday, January 17, 2010

What We Are Eating: Week Three



Recap of Week Two
This week's goals were to learn to make chicken stock and to find a cookie recipe (with no refined sugar or white flour) that my children will like and think of as a "treat".   I did make chicken stock and it turned out pretty good.  I did not find a cookie recipe because I found this Peanut Butter and Honey Bars recipe and decided to try it instead.  These got mixed reviews.  Samantha liked them, Gracen thought they were ok, and Wes did not like them at all.  He loves PB and honey, so I think it was the sesame seed flavor that he did not like. I will continue to work on this goal.


Good Find
This Cottage Cheese and Fruit Salad  recipe.  I do not normally like cottage cheese, but I really liked this salad.  I will be making it again.  The only change I will make is to add less cinnamon. 

 Week Three Goals


Breakfast
Bacon and Egg on WW Bagel
Muffins - Nourishing Traditions Recipe
Hard Boiled Eggs and Fruit
Kitchen Stewardship's Granola Recipe with Whole Milk Yogurt
Cottage Cheese and Fruit Salad

Lunch
Turkey and Swiss on Whole Wheat
Chicken Nuggets
Pasta Marinara
Tuna Salad
Almond or Sunflower Seed Butter with Banana Sandwich

 Dinner
Taste of Home's Sausage Lentil Soup
Minneapolis Real Food Lover's Cottage Pie with Mashed Yams
Kalyn's Kitchen's Chicken with Asparagus and Three Cheeses 
Martha Stewart's Crockpot Chili Chicken Tacos
Tasty Eats at Home's Pork Satay with Mashed Cauliflower
Cabbage and Sausage
Left Overs 
*With our dinners, I usually try to serve a simple salad or another type of fresh veggie.


Check out what other bloggers are eating at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

How did your week go?  Did you accomplish your goals?  Did you learn/find anything you would like to share?  I would love to hear from you!

To see all of the posts in this series go here!

9 comments:

Robyn | Add a Pinch said...

Such a wonderful plan! These will be the habits to last them a LIFETIME!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kitchen Stewardship said...

Awesome goals! It's pretty easy to adapt any bread recipe for soaking. This one http://thehappyhousewife.com/baking-day/ is my fav for rolls if you have a bread machine. You just withhold the yeast, salt and egg, and mix the rest by hand in the bread machine. Don't turn it on. Leave overnight, then toss in the other ingredients and let the dough cycle do its thing. MIne always manages to mix it up just fine! My mom also withholds about 1/2 cup of the liquid to proof the yeast before mixing in when she makes her homemade bread. So the sky's the limit! Passionate Homemaking has a soaked bread recipe, too. Good luck! I'll be watching to see what you find, as I am tackling whole grains and soaking in February!

:) Katie

Mrs. S said...

Hi Tara,

You asked if I could come over and take a look at your eating healthier plan. It looks like you're doing a great job nourishing your family. The only thing that I am wondering is if the bread, grains, and beans are soaked. It took a while to get in the habit of doing this, but there is a huge difference.

The bagels and bread could easily be replaced with store-bought sprouted or homemade sourdough. And since you are menu planning you can think ahead for soaking beans and grains.

Keep up the good work!

Shannon
Nourishing Days

Tara Broman said...

Shannon, Thanks so much for stopping by. For now, I am using store-bought ww breads (with no HFCS). Most of the store bought sprouted breads I have found are a little out of my budget.

I am on a mission to find a good recipe for a sprouted bread recipe. I have tried one, but it was a flop. I have two recipes that I plan to try this week.

I am soaking beans, as well.

I do have a recipe for sourdough. I think I will give it a try next week.

Thanks, again!

Tara Broman said...

Robyn, Thanks so much for the encouragement! We need it!


Katie, Thanks for the recommendations. I have been wondering about a roll recipe. I will definitely give these a try. Do you use them for burgers, too?

I will look forward to seeing your soaking posts in Feb.

Take care!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy Green said...

Thanks for linking to my Cottage Cheese & Fruit Salad. I love it...I had it today with apples. :) You're a gem.

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free
www.SimplySugarAndGlutenFree.com

Celeste said...

We LOVE the Passionate Homemaker's soaked bread recipe, I think it makes four loaves.

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/01/kitchen-tip-tuesday-homemade-bread.html

This one is just a one loaf version of the same recipe - it's become our regular bread.

http://lifeincincinnati.com/?p=1223

Celeste