Recap of Week 3
Here is how I did with Week Three's Goals:
- Make Nourished Kitchen's Beef Stock - I did make beef stock using this recipe. However, it did not turn out very rich. I am not sure what I did wrong. I roasted the bones first and followed all of the directions. The only thing I can think of is that I used too much water. Any suggestions?
- Find a Good Soaked Bread Recipe - I tried Inspired Homemaking's recipe for Soaked Whole Wheat Bread in the Bread Machine. It turned out pretty and the texture was nice. Not a favorite, of my children, though. I think they may like it better with a tad more honey and 50/50 mix of ww and white flour. This week I am going to try Jo-Lynne's (Musings of a Housewife) favorite recipe for Homemade Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread and Passionate Homemaking's Soaked Whole Grain Bread recipe. I will let you know how they turn out.
- Read Nina Planck's Real Food: What to Eat and Why. I did read this and highly recommend it. Nina does a beautiful job making scientific nutrition concepts easy to understand. Her book is also full of lots of useful information which will help you in making food choices, planning meals, and making personal decisions about your nutrition. In addition, John and I watched Food, Inc. Enlightening and informative.
Some favorites from last week:
- Kitchen Stewardship's Granola Recipe - I made this on Saturday. I added some cinnamon, dried cranberries, flax meal, and pecans. So good! All of my kids love it.
- Kitchen Stewardship's Granola Bar Recipe - As Katie suggested, I used 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter in place of 1/2 cup of butter. I also added some chocolate chips. Huge hit with my kiddos. I packed them in lunches.
- Minneapolis Real Food Lover's Cottage Pie with Mashed Yams - I used rutabagas instead of yams. Delicious! No left overs.
- Transition to Raw Milk.
- Continue to look for a Homemade Sandwich Bread Recipe.
- Research Local Farms (Beef, Poultry, Dairy).
Hardboiled Eggs and Fruit
Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Soaked Baked Oatmeal
Tasty Eats at Home's Breakfast Tacos Made these this morning - So awesome!
Yogurt and Kitchen Stewardship's Granola Recipe
Kitchen Stewardship's The Best Pancakes Ever
Egg in the Hole
Turkey and Swiss on Whole Wheat
Almond or Sunflower Seed Butter with Banana Sandwich
Side items: Apples with Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Easy Peanut Butter Dip, corn chips and salsa, veggies and hummus, fruit, cheese
Cabbage and Sausage
Nourishing Day's Mexican Chicken Soup
Red Beans and Rice
Pioneer Woman's Spicy Shredded Pork
Hamburgers with Sweet Potato Fries
Musings of a Housewife's Tried and True Chicken Nuggets with Brown Basmati Rice and Veggies
*With our dinners, I usually try to serve a simple salad or another type of fresh veggie.
Check out what other bloggers are eating at I'm an Organizing Junkie.
How did your week go? Did you accomplish your goals? Did you learn/find anything you would like to share? I would love to hear from you!
To see all of the posts in this series go here!