Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Random Thoughts

Just some random thoughts I wanted to share...

Julie and Julia
John and I just watched the movie Julie and Julia. I loved it! We both enjoy cooking, so we have challenged ourselves to cook some of Julia's recipes over the Christmas break. In fact, for Christmas dinner we are going to make her famous Boeuf Bourguignon. I am not sure what we will make for dessert, yet. I waiting on my copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. 1
to arrive and then I will make some final decisions. Can't wait! By the way ~ Amazon has this cookbook on sale for only $19 (normally sells for $40.00). What a steal!



The Pioneer Woman

One of my favorite blogs is The Pioneer Woman. I just love Ree! Needless to say, I really enjoy the cooking section of her blog. She has the best recipes! If you ever want to woo your husband, you have to make him the Marlboro Man Sandwich. Trust me...he will be thanking you for days!

Ree has written a cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl, and has been doing publicity tours to promote it. I was so excited to find out that she was coming to a bookstore near me. I could not wait to go, purchase a copy of the book, and have Ree sign it. Unfortunately, the day she came it snowed all day. The streets were icy and I did not feel comfortable driving to the bookstore (about 45 minutes away). So sad! Anyway, to make myself feel better, I ordered the cookbook from Amazon. I can't wait to get it and try some of the recipes.



Cute Holiday Craft
Wes made this cute little wreath in nursery school. It turned out really cute, so I wanted to share the idea with you. It is made out of a paper plate with the middle cut out, red and green crinkly paper stuff (used in gift baskets), and 2 mini candy canes. I think it would be really cute to add a big bow made out of Christmas ribbon.



Gracen's Lucky Day
Gracen's class recently worked in cooperative groups to make gingerbread houses. Then the teacher drew names and one child from each group got to take her group's gingerbread house home. Gracen was so excited to have her name drawn. She is very proud of the house she helped to create. She has it displayed on our dining room table. Well, she did have it displayed there. I had to move it this morning because I kept catching Wes picking off the gumdrops and eating them!



A Goat for a Gift?
This year my children will be getting one of these special cards (from Heifer.org) as a gift from John and I. The cards describe the donations that we have made in their names. These gifts will be the last ones the kids open. After they have opened them, each child will read her card aloud (I will read Wes's) and we will discuss the spirit of giving and helping those in need. I hope these gifts will be remembered for years to come.

We are donating chicks from Gracen, bees from Wes, and ducks from Sam.

3 comments:

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

I LOVE Pioneer Woman!!! I bought her cookbook for my SIL who I turned on to her site & she's even more nuts about her than I am now. lol
I love her recipes & her humor. :)
That's so sad u missed her! I know it doesn't compare but if u send your book to her she'll personally sign it & send back ASAP! You might already know about that but if u need the link I can find it for u with the info.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tara - great random thoughts there. I also loved Julie & Julia - in fact, I channeled Julie during my 31 Days to a Better Blog Challenge.

Pioneer Cookbook looks great. She's so cool. Congrats to Gracen on her lucky win!

Happy Aloha Friday!

Unknown said...

I've been curious about that Pioneer Woman cookbook...and loooved Julie and Julia (movie) so Julia Child cookbook would be so cool!!

Thanks for this post!